Dec 29 2006
Darn it, Michael Farnum tagged me and I can’t let it just go by without responding. I guess it’s just part of what little competitive nature I have in me. So just for this one post I’m coming out of my self-imposed blogging moratorium and posting.
Five things you don’t know about me:
1) I was a 31v10 (Radio Repairman) in the US Army stationed in Germany from 1986-1988 (Edited: I was off by a decade, I originally wrote 96-68). They still did 2 year stints back then and I decided after my time was up that the life of an enlisted man just wasn’t for me.
2) I’ve been playing table-top role playing games since I was 12. I’ve probably learned and forgotten more gaming systems than most of today’s 18-25 year old gamers have even heard of. I still play Dungeons and Dragons fairly regularly and was given a foam-rubber 6″ 20-sided die for Christmas. Yes, I am an uber-geek.
3) I am a voracious reader of sci-fi and fantasy, though kids, blogging and podcasting have really cut into this. I was given Jim Butcher’s latest Harry Dresden book, Proven Guilty, for Christmas and finished it in 1 day. It was only 400 pages or so. And unlike my wife, I don’t skim or read the last chapter first.
4) I have two small children and sometimes my wife has to ask which of the toys laying around the house are theirs and which ones are mine. And it’ll only get worse as they get older. I got a Robosapien V1 for Christmas and my oldest got Lego Mindstorm NXT. He immediately took over the Robosapien and I ‘had to’ help him program the Mindstorm.
5) Even when I’m getting away from the computer, I can’t get away from being a geek. The whole family orienteers and geocaches for fun. When we kayak (we have 5) I take the GPS with us to record the experience. The only adventures I haven’t figured out how to enhance technologically are rock climbing and snorkeling, but since I haven’t had a chance to do either of those in a few years, I haven’t had the need to yet. But I will, oh yes!
Unluckily Michael already tagged three of the people I would have tagged. So I’ll have to cast my net a little farther afield than he did and pull from some of my friends outside the security community as well as inside it.