Aug 06 2007

Defcon 2007: Bumping the Medeco lock

Published by at 5:16 pm under Hacking

Lock bumping became big news at last year’s Defcon when 11-year-old Jennalynn showed an exceptional talent for being able to bump almost any lock set in front of her. This year she again shows her talent by bumping the Medeco M3 high security lock, a lock that is supposedly un-bumpable! Mark Weber Tobias and 12-year old Jennalynn talk about the Medico lock and demonstrate bumping the lock in just a few minutes on camera.

I was fascinated by the physical security presentations at Defcon this year, as well as Lock Pick Village.  I wasn’t the only one, as the room was full almost all of the convention.  The only exception was Friday night when it was closed off for the Toool team to use the room for their own nefarious reasons, but more on that later.  A small portion of this video was used in Mark’s presentation at Defcon and will be sent to Medico.  I just happened to be in the right place at the right time to catch this on camera.

8 Responses to “Defcon 2007: Bumping the Medeco lock”

1. Roryon 07 Aug 2007 at 12:58 am

Wow must’ve been cool for her to have her birthday at DefCon ;op

2. bobon 08 Aug 2007 at 5:40 am

I didn’t realise Ugly Betty was a lock bumper?

3. Martinon 08 Aug 2007 at 6:55 am

Not very nice, Bob. She’s a 12 year old girl, so give her a break.

4. Indioglon 09 Aug 2007 at 5:34 am

Bob is most likely a 12 year old.

Very cool about bumping the medeco to validate a company’s statements. People need to be careful in their marketing.

5. Jack Danielon 09 Aug 2007 at 8:07 pm

I bet she doesn’t worry about getting locked out of her locker at school…

6. Martin McKeayon 09 Aug 2007 at 8:47 pm

The thing that impressed me the most about filming this interview was Jennalynn’s mom; she sat right next to me while Jennalynn talked to me told me point blank that Jennalyn wouldn’t answer any questions without her approval. That’s a responsible parent.

7. James Thorntonon 22 Aug 2007 at 5:11 pm

Yes, the M3 lock was apparently bumped, but it took a team of researchers months to do it with the aid of some nifty computer algorithms. The research team did not publish the results to it’s not like any run-of-the-mill lock bumper will be able to do it. Medeco M3 locks are still the best anti-bump lock out there. I found a cool site called Antibump Locks that has them at a good price — google it.

8. Martin McKeayon 22 Aug 2007 at 9:16 pm

James, or JT,

It’s the fact that this was
    initially advertised as being “bump proof” that’s the problem. This is a good lock, which is acknowledged in the video, but it’s makers overstate its security value.

And don’t try pretending you’re not associated with Medeco, like selling their product. By the way, never assume that your anonymous on the internet: you didn’t “find” the antibump site, you own it. There’s this cool little site called DNSstuff.com that tells a lot about you.

Domain name: antibumplocks.com