May 01 2008

Feedburner stats all wonky

Published by at 5:08 am under Blogging,Site Configuration

Something is going on with Feedburner; yesterday my stats showed the highest number they’d ever shown, today they’re less than half that. I expect them to fluctuate some, but over the last month I’ve seen drops of over 1000 subscribers in a day, to be back up to their normal levels the next day. Today’s drop was nearly 2000 subscribers overnight.

Paperghost claims it’s got something to do with Netvibes, but I’m not sold. This has been happening to me a lot and for over a month, so it’s not too likely to be a single point causing this much fluctuation, unless that point happens to be part of Feedburner. There’s been very little written on this so far, so I’ll be very interested in seeing if Feedburner addresses the problem on their own. I suspect it has more to do with the integration with Google than anything else.

Anyone else seeing this type of fluctuation in your Feedburner stats? Or are you a little less stats obsessed than I am and only look at your subscriber numbers when there’s a reason? Hopefully there’s someone from Feedburner looking for posts like this who can answer my questions about stats fluctuations. Or maybe I need to tweet about it and hope they’re looking at Twitter too.

6 Responses to “Feedburner stats all wonky”

1. PortcullisChainon 01 May 2008 at 6:06 am

I never worry about it since I have a whopping 5 subscribers.
    /sarc
    -PC

2. Michael R. Farnumon 02 May 2008 at 8:38 am

I have been seeing that as well for the last few weeks. I have ignored it mostly and chelked it up to the Google integration, but I did see that one day I had well over 1000, then the next day I saw under 700 (and that was during the week – weekend fluctuations are normal of course). Today it is almost 1000 again.

Oh well. If they don’t have it worked out in a few more weeks, I will pay more attention.

Michael

3. PortcullisChainon 02 May 2008 at 3:25 pm

And then there was 6 (subscribers). I’m starting to feel loved.
    /sarc
    -PC

4. alan shimelon 02 May 2008 at 8:39 pm

Martin – I exchanged emails with my friends at feedburner. They said it is netvibes (which is like a fifth of my subscribers). here is the email response I got:

Yeah it’s in our Groups known issues page – netvibes is migrating
    users between their builds and as a result they don’t report to us
    consistently. Migration will take a while to complete, the say.
    Widespread issue with no workaround on our end, at least they finally
    responded to my repeated requests for explanation.

Hope that helps

alan

5. Jeff Martenson 04 May 2008 at 4:35 am

Also http://www.mckeay.net/secure/index.xml is gone, so those of us without iTunes access have lost access to the podcast. Ok, I could write a script to download new mp3s as they appear, but that’s what the podcast aggregator is supposed to do.

6. Jeff Martenson 04 May 2008 at 4:38 am

Never mind, found the new URL.