Jan 17 2009

Cleaning up disk space with Xinorbis

Published by at 10:56 am under General

I love my not-so-little desktop PC.  It’s got 3 gigs of memory, an Nvidia 8600 graphics card, two monitors an AMD X2 4600 processor and half a terabyte of hard drive space, plus another terabyte of external drive space.  But when I originally built it I only had a 160 gig drive and wanted the majority of the space to be available to record podcasts and made the horrible mistake of only giving the C drive 12 gigs, figuring putting the program files on the D drive would make that enough space on C.  Little did I know the problems that would cause.

I’ve frequently had to rummage through the drive and find temporary files to delete because the system was running out of space.  It’s amazing how much space temp files for Firefox and Internet Explorer can take up.  What really amazed me was when I installed Spore just before Christmas and how it insisted on saving everything to My Documents on the C drive, even though I’d told it to use the D drive.  I didn’t realize saved games could quickly get into the gigabyte range, which was bad for my system performance.  So Spore had to go.  (the kids still get to play it on the Mac Book Pro, however)

Yesterday I found the program I’ve been needing for over a year, Xinorbis.  I fired it up let it shift through the hard drive and a couple of minutes later a nice little pie chart came up.  The big surprise to me was that I had a ton of .flv files hanging out in various subdirectories throughout my drive from videos I’d watched over the years.  Xinorbis allowed me to select the ‘Movie’ from the categories and popped up a list of all the .flv files throughout the drive.  Clicking on each of the files allowed me open up the directory they were in and remove all of the .flv files I no longer needed or wanted.   30 minutes later I’d freed up 1.5 gigs on my drive, giving me more than enough space to go on for a couple more months until some other application takes up too much space with temp files.

Hopefully you haven’t made the same rookie mistake I did, but you might benifit by running Xinorbis on your computer and discovering where some of that extra junk on you drive is being stored.  Or it might just be fun to poke around see what’s there.  Either way, Xinorbis helped me finally solve a problem I’d been having with my computer for a long time.

8 Responses to “Cleaning up disk space with Xinorbis”

1. dblackshellon 18 Jan 2009 at 2:33 pm

I usually disable system restore, thus freeing some gigs of space… (+temp files and so)

2. TKOon 19 Jan 2009 at 6:17 am

I have been using this for years… pretty nifty:

3. windexh8eron 19 Jan 2009 at 8:34 am

Why not fix your problem the right way and resize it? :)

4. Martinon 19 Jan 2009 at 8:48 am

I tried GParted last week and while I was able to free up an additional 8 gigs of one of the other partitions, I can’t use it because it was an extended partition. Without reformatting the drive I don’t see any way to take that 8 gigs off of the extended partition and add it to the primary partition.

If this is something Gparted can do, please tell me how or point me to section of the FAQ that explains it. I’d love add space to the C drive, but instead I’ll have to just be happy with keeping it clean instead.

5. windexh8eron 19 Jan 2009 at 10:04 am

GParted has been able to resize extended partitions for quite some time — but you have to resize the logicals inside the extended before you can resize the extended itself. Not sure exactly where you got hung up — but from what you’ve described it sounds perfectly doable.

6. windexh8eron 19 Jan 2009 at 10:16 am

Part 3 describes an example. Basically you have to have free space to resize — so part of your problem may just be freeing up enough space to extend your primary. Since you have a bunch of external storage why not just nuke your logical “D” after backing it up, rearrange with all of that free space, and then reimport it?

7. Scotton 19 Jan 2009 at 1:55 pm

Another +1 for SequoiaView.

A little slow on very large harddrives but still very useful.

8. armed security guardon 25 Jan 2009 at 6:31 pm

Count me in for SequoiaView. Been happy with it, but maybe I’ll give Xinorbis a try on my other machine. Thanks for sharing.